Getting Back To The Basics

A place to show the changes in our yard, our garden, our home, and our life.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Pickles

Today was my first go at canning. I chose pickles. I don't even really like pickles. I hope Rob enjoys eating a whole bunch of pickles this year.

We picked up a box of small cucumbers just yesterday. Peaked in on them today? Moldy. Awesome. I scavenged enough to make 7 jars and tossed the rest in the yard waste bin. I may pick up some larger fresh cucumbers from the farmers market on Friday and make some sliced pickles.

The main problem (aside form my cucumbers spoiling) was getting the damn water bath to a boil. Rob suggested putting it over two burners. That was the trick to finally getting a boil. Note to future self: use two burners and hover the pot over both.

So I ended up using:
12C water
4C white vinegar
1tsp crushed red peppers
1tsp mustard seeds
1tsp black pepper corn
1tsp horse radish (per jar)
2-3 whole cloves garlic (per jar)
3-4 sprigs of dill weed (per jar)

Guess I'll find out in a couple of months if it sucks or not

2 comments:

Rob said...

I would happily eat a pickle every damned day.

Don't read anything naughty into that.

Amber Buehler said...

I don't like pickles either but they look good!!! :)