Getting Back To The Basics

A place to show the changes in our yard, our garden, our home, and our life.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fruit Bars

Rumor has it these are tasty. I haven't had one yet so I'll have to trust Rob on that one. I hope my coworkers are hungry.




  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (12 ounce) jar strawberry preserves - use whatever fruit preserves you are in the mood for. I wanted raspberry but they were out.
  1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel. Combine 3 cups flour, almonds, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (do not over mix).
  2. Set aside 1 cup of dough. Press the remaining dough into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread preserves to within 1/4 in. of edges. Combine the reserved dough with the remaining flour; sprinkle over preserves. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars. 
Original Recipe found here - I didn't change it much when I made these. 
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/springtime-strawberry-bars/detail.aspx

No comments: